Tuesday, July 24, 2018

CamelBack Brewing Company

So, it's the day before the grand opening of my husband's brewery. I have a lot of nervous energy. My counters are coated with a thick layer from Clorox wipes and my vacuum cleaner is begging me to turn it off. I clean a lot when I feel nervous. I guess it keeps me busy and helps me clear my mind. Another thing that helps me clear my mind is writing! So let's start from the beginning of this long journey that has brought my family to this new season of life.


This is Mike in 2012. This is where it all began. We had just welcomed our first child into the world. Mike was taking online classes through NC State to get a Master's in GIS. He was the town planner in Winterville, NC. He came home one day and told me that he wanted to try to brew his own beer. I didn't think anything about it. Mike has lot's of hobbies and likes to tinker around with things. He loves to cook. He's the type of person that can read a book or article about a particular subject and automatically become an expert at it. Sometimes this drives me crazy because I am the complete opposite of that. I would have to study something for months. So naturally, Mike read up on how to brew beer from home, bought some equipment (shown in the picture) and brewed some beer right there in our tiny little kitchen. To say he enjoyed the process is an understatement. We waited a few weeks and I learned some new vocabulary words, like fermentation, conditioning, and hops. A very distinct aroma filled the walls of our kitchen. 



We both wondered what it would taste like. Then the day came to try it out. I remember laughing so hard because it actually tasted amazing. And that was just the taste Mike needed to turn this science experiment into a full blown hobby. He started brewing all different types of beer. Our kitchen turned into a mini brewery. Once when we were out of town for the weekend, the top exploded off of one of his containers and shot beer all over our kitchen. We came home late Sunday night to a kitchen full of ants and beer. But I still let him brew. He was obsessed with it. And so were the people that he shared it with. 






Fast forward to 2014. Mike accepted a job with the City of Durham. We put our house for sale and moved back to our hometown of Sanford. We lived with my parents until we were able to sale our house and find a new one (This ended up being 2 years. No, that's not a typo.) During this time Mike basically turned my parent's garage into a brewery. He brewed during his spare time. He commuted to Durham everyday. I continued to teach 2nd grade. And then this happened...


That's daughter # 2 in there. It was around this time that Mike told me he wanted to open up a brewery. Once again, I didn't think much about it. Maybe I even thought that he was joking. I don't really remember the specifics. My head was fogged with pregnancy brain and chasing around a 3 year old. Then one day he asked me what I thought of the name CamelBack Brewing Company, inspired by the Camelback Bridge. And this logo... 

Humm.... maybe he wasn't joking. I loved the name. I loved the logo. I started to love this idea.... but how? How in the world would he make this dream a reality? How do you open up a brewery? How would this even be possible!? This is when the hard work started. Not many people realize that it took about 3 years of research, time, money, frustration, patience, doubt, hope, and most importantly prayer. It's funny how you can look back and see all the puzzle pieces falling into place and how God's timing is never early and never late. 





These are a few pictures of Mike doing some free tastings around town. The feedback was good and the exposure was great. And then, finally, this happened. 


He got the keys to the building. This was the big "oh my goodness my husband is opening up a brewery, like for real" moment. This was exciting. This was the beginning of the end of Mike's time commuting to Durham. This was the beginning of the wonderful, sometimes scary/overwhelming, part of this journey. 


Word started to spread around town. I was happy to share any information to anybody that asked. It's hard to hide the "proud wife" smile from my face. 







After months of construction, hiccups along the way, sweat, and determination.... it's finally ready. He actually did it. This hard working hubby of mine is actually opening up a brewery. I'm so glad we took that brave jump over the side. I am in awe of you. 


This town has been so supportive. A HUGE thank you to all of the investors, workers, family, and friends that have made this possible. We are excited to walk this path that God has led us on. Come check us out. Doors open tomorrow, July 25th at 11. 

www.camelbackbrewingco.com









No comments:

Post a Comment