Sunday, June 18, 2017

Daddy's Girl


The church sermon this morning was about planting a good seed. The preacher talked about Father's Day and how important our father's are. They are our biggest teacher. Our number one fan. And the whole time the preacher was preaching about Father's, I was thinking about my daddy.

He planted a good seed. He planted three good seeds. He watered us, weeded us, protected us, and watched us grow.

When I think back on my childhood, I am flooded with tons and tons of wonderful memories shared with my dad and my family.

I remember all of our family vacations to the beach. I remember how you would pick me up over the waves. You would build the best sand pool for us to play in. We would fill up buckets with sand fiddlers. One time we made a humongous sand castle. I remember our mountain trips and cutting down our own Christmas tree. I remember that hot day in Gettysburg and learning about our family history. Somehow you made that fun. But the best part was just being with you on a trip.

I remember you at all of my dance recitals. I remember the flowers you would give me.

I remember that half eaten snickers bar I gave you as a present one time.

I remember your "Spivey Specials" that you cooked up in the kitchen. Only you could make spaghetti taste like smoke. I remember laughing about that.

I remember the tree house you built me in the backyard. I remember playing baseball back there and the swing set you put together. I remember the beautiful flowers you would plant. I remember how much you appreciated a nice yard.

I remember your truck with the little windshield wipers. I remember playing "van bop" in the car. I remember you teaching me how to drive.



I remember your nice comfy lap in that recliner downstairs. You would let me listen to your music and wear your big headphones. I remember The Beetles and calling Simon and Garfunkel "Simon and Garfield". I remember your guitar.

I remember one night being scared of the tooth fairy and I went downstairs and cuddled in your lap. I remember sitting in that lap through hurricanes, thunderstorms, and bad dreams.

I remember that time you let me paint your toenails and forgot they were painted. We played eye spy on the beach and I spied something pink... your toes!

I remember sleeping in your big t-shirts.

I remember Christmas mornings. I remember that trampoline that must have taking you all night to put together.

I remember being stung by a wasp and you put tobacco on it.

I remember you apologizing when you were wrong.

I remember you moving me into my dorm room on the 3rd floor on a 95 degree day in August. I remember you moving me several more times into apartments and houses.

I remember the first (and last) time I rode a roller coaster with you. I remember how tight I squeezed your arm.

I remember how much you loved mom. I remember how gross I thought it was when you kissed her.

I remember you being there to cheer for me at my high school, college, and Master's graduation.

I remember that time I wrecked my car after you had just put new tires on it, and you told me that tires can be replaced but you can't replace me.

I remember when you walked me down the isle and I didn't want to let go of you. I remember our awesome dance at the reception.

I remember when you held Lilly for the first time.

I remember when you let me live with you for 2 years. I remember that you didn't complain not one time about us taking over your space.

I remember bringing Madelyn home to your house. Her first home was with you. And you held her all of the time for me.

I remember your knee surgeries and how bad I hated seeing you in pain.

I remember how you painted my whole house, twice.

I remember all of it. All of the Valentine cards and chocolates, all of the hugs, the coffee visits, all of the selfless things you did and continue to do for me every single day.

How did I get so lucky to have a dad like you? Thank you for planting those seeds. Thank you for teaching us that family is the most important thing there is. Thank you for moving us back home. Thank you for all of the wonderful memories you have made with me and all of the wonderful memories yet to come. Thank you for being you. I love you daddy.






























No comments:

Post a Comment